Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Tax Advocacy & Free Tax Preparation Day

April 2 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Join us for:

Taxpayer Advocate Service – Your voice at the IRS will be there to assist you with any tax issues that you can’t seem to resolve with the IRS.
No appointment needed to speak with the taxpayer advocate.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) – FREE Tax preparation by IRS trained and certified volunteers is available. This program provides Greater Atlanta’s working individuals and families free tax prep to low-to-moderate income ($58,000 and under).

IMPORTANT! Registration is REQUIRED to get your taxes prepared at this event.

Go to to register.

Can’t attend this event?  You can also do your taxes yourself Virtually for FREE through My Free Taxes. If needed, tax help is available from an IRS-certified Volunteer. This service is available to those with an income of $73,000 a year or less. Visit to get started!

Please gather the following documents for your tax preparation. These documents are required to file your taxes. If you do not have them, use the links to get copies of the documents.

Original Social Security cards or ITINs for everyone on the return – NO exceptions.

The only other acceptable document is the 1099-SSA. You may obtain a replacement Social Security card or 1099-SSA at

Photo Identification for each spouse on the return

Both spouses must be present and sign if filing jointly. Married Filing Jointly is the most advantageous filing status with a few exceptions. If choosing Married Filing Separately, you will need your spouse’s Social Security number in order to electronically file. Without your spouse’s social security number and birthdate,you will mail a paper copy of your return. This will significantly delay any refund.

All W-2s, 1099s, and Income Documents

These can include: Business Income, Social Security income, Retirement Income, Unemployment Income, Interest from a savings account, 1099-A, Dividends, Cash Income and Gambling Income. To obtain a Wage Transcript from the IRS because of missing documents, go to or call (800) 908-9946. Please make sure to request anon-redacted transcript.

Advance Child Tax Credit letter

For those that received advance Child Tax Credits in 2021, letter 6419 was sent to homes.To complete your 2021 tax return, and accurately reconcile, please bring Letter 6419 or provide the information from your online account.

Self-Employed and Contract Labor

If you are an on-demand driver (Lyft, Uber, etc.), you will need documentation from your service, as well as income expense records. has free comprehensive tax resources includinga downloadable tax guide, step-by-step instructions, and calculators or you can use this worksheet.

Proof of Expenses

These can include charitable donation receipts, 1098-T education expenses, child care and dependent care expenses. For taxpayers wishingto itemize, please use this worksheet.

Form 1095 – A

Only if you have health insurance through the Marketplace. To obtain your 1095-A, go to or call (844) 644-5543.

Direct Deposit Information

For the refund to be depositeddirectly to your bank (the safest and fastest way), you will need the routing number and account number.This can be found on a check.

Previous Year’s Return

Last year’s returns are not required but is helpful to have with you. If you are filing yourself orthe first time using a new software, federal law requires you to submit your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income). This can be found on your previous year’s return. If you do not have a copy, you can obtain a transcript at .

Home Interest and Taxes

Interest and taxes are important deductions! Please bring Form 1098 for mortgage interest, property tax statements, and/or closing statements.

Sponsored by VITA, United Way, New Birth, Hank Johnson & the State of Georgia ncnw


April 2
10:00 am - 4:00 pm

©  NewBirth | All Rights Reserved | Connect Branding and Marketing